Immigrant Services Calgary is looking for a full-time (37.5 hours per week), Language Assessor to complete comprehensive in-person and remote language assessments for clients of ILVARC using approved Canadian Language Benchmarks assessment tools in order to appraise training needs and measure language proficiency.
• Conduct regular language assessment for clients of lLVARC both in-person and remotely.
• Provide clients with explanation of their CLB score results and information about available language training programs
• Recommend appropriate training options to clients
• Enter required data into centralized online data base
• Maintain client records according to established office procedures.
• Under the direction of the Director and Assessment Services Manager, participate in the Centre’s outreach initiatives, including:
(a) Establishing and maintaining liaisons with ESL professionals and their affiliate organizations;
(b) Responding to requests for the dissemination of information regarding the process and content of assessment procedures being used at the Centre under the direction of the Assessment Services Manager;
(c) Delivering orientation sessions as part (b) of above in order to meet the educational needs of the ESL community;
(d) Representing the Centre in the continued development of assessment tools and procedures;
(e) Participating in selected community-relations functions such as planning for and staffing agency displays, delivering workshops to other organizations, etc.
• Assist as required with internal staff training and orientation needs with respect to assessment procedures.
• Participate, where possible, and represent ILVARC in the events and activities of relevant professional associations such as ATESL, etc.
• Under the direction of the Assessment Services Manager, assist with the general task work necessary to the smooth functioning of the Centre, including assisting other staff in their duties when required
• Post-secondary degree in linguistics, modern languages or English or completion of TESL training program from a college or university; minimum of 100 hours and practicum
• Successful experience in teaching ESL to adults for at least 300 hours
• CLB certification
• Multicultural awareness and sensitivity
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Interview skills
• Decision-making skills
• Availability to work up to two evenings per week and weekends
- Pay Type Salary
- Immigrant Services Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada