Immigrant Services Calgary is seeking an Outreach Officer/Counselor to promote ILVARC services and facilitate program/service delivery in the community, as well as build relationships with existing and potential community partners to foster inclusive, cohesive, and vibrant communities. This is a full-time position based on 37.5 hours per week.
• To work with other agency departments and staff to plan and conduct outreach activities in the Calgary community to promote agency services and establish collaborations.
• To conduct community mapping and mobilize existing community assets to implement neighborhood-based initiatives to support and serve immigrants.
• To deliver presentations/training to mainstream service providers, ethno-cultural associations and other community partners to increase their cross-cultural competency.
• To work with grassroots groups and provide them with necessary resources and training to enhance their capacity to serve and support immigrants in the community.
• To collaborate with other ISC departments to increase client awareness of ILVARC services.
• To act as a resource person for external partners to connect constituents with ISC and ILVARC.
• To create strategies and tactics to expand reach in promoting ILVARC services.
• To participate in community liaison meetings, presentations, and displays as required.
• To be a resource to the community in the area of information and ILVARC referral services.
• To maintain face to face contact with regular clients based on the frequency required by agency.
• To complete client intake forms, and assist with the maintenance of client records according to established policies and procedures.
• To determine, where applicable, general eligibility for federally sponsored language training (LINC) based on stated eligibility criteria.
• To provide clients with explanation of their CLB score results.
• To implement follow-up with clients according to prescribed procedures.
• To develop and conduct information sessions about ILVARC services.
• To refer clients to other community services and resources, including ISC and other settlement services as identified by initial needs assessment.
• To attend orientation session on the Canadian Language Benchmarks theoretical framework.
• To maintain an accurate and current knowledge base concerning LINC/ESL programs and services.
• To prepare and submit accurate program and statistical statements in conformity with deadlines, and format required by funders and Immigrant Services Calgary.
• Under the direction of the Program Development/Counseling Team Leader, to assist with the general task work necessary to the smooth functioning of the Centre, including assisting other staff in their duties when required.
• Degree in Social Work, Social Science, Business, Communication, International Development or related discipline.
• Experience in community work.
• Excellent spoken and written English and one other language.
• Experience in individual counseling and group activities.
• Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity.
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent work ethics.
• Ability to work independently as well as in team.
• Available to work evenings and weekends.
• Valid driver’s licence and access to own vehicle.
- Pay Type Salary
- Immigrant Services Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada